Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I have recently decided to change my eating habits in order to live longer and be healthier.  In doing so, I have given up grains, rice, beans, dairy products, most carbohydrates (potatoes) and sugar.  I am instead eating protein (beef, chicken, pork, fish) and vegetables.  I am not counting calories or weighing my food.

I am eating three meals a day, having a healthy snack and getting in the occasional exercise.  I am also keeping a daily journal where I write down every single item that I eat.  My friend's father-in-law gave me this advise: "Write down everything you eat the first week and the second week, eat everything you wrote down!"  Therefore, I write everything down to the number of almonds I eat to the number of sips of soda I have.  I figured, no one is going to see my little "Diet Book," so who would I be keeping secrets from except myself?

That, dear friends, was my TA-DA moment!  Why would I want to keep secrets from myself?  Who am I cheating except myself?  Who is losing out on healthy lifestyle except me?  So, mistakes, cheats, lapses in judgment, I write it all down!  So far so good!  Instead of eating that handful of chips and feeling guilty or lying to myself, I eat the chips, write it down and move on.     

That discovery is also why I started this blog.  I figure, it's another way of chronicling my new eating habits and making me accountable to me.  Never mind, while I write this locked in the bedroom, I am not scrounging for food!  

3 comments: